Booty trends may come and go, but one thing that never goes out of style is a firm, well-rounded, strong and shapely backside. A firm lifted butt makes you look more attractive. However, firming and strengthening your backside has more advantages than making you look good.
Strengthening your glutes reduces hip and knee pain and protects your back from injury. It also builds stamina, keeps you fit, and improves your performance in any workout.
This article will explain the glutes, how it works, why it is important to be developed, and how to build a strong and shapely backside with exercises.
The butt muscles
When you decide to tone your butt, you might picture the butt cheek itself, but there are various muscles in there that are responsible for its appearance. These muscles are what you develop to achieve your aim.
The rear consists of three muscles: the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and gluteus minimus.
- The Gluteus maximus
The Gluteus maximus is the largest butt muscle. It is responsible for its shape and aids movement of the thigh and hip. Exercises for side glutes and gluteus maximum exercises are great for building this muscle.
- The Gluteus medius
This muscle, in the shape of a fan, helps with the movement of the posterior hip. Here. Some exercises for side gluteus may come in handy.
- The gluteus minimus
The triangular-shaped muscle helps with the rotation of the thighs. Though it’s the smallest muscle, there are great exercises for lower buttocks to help you get in shape.
The hamstrings are also connected underneath your glutes. It is an important muscle that is often overlooked. They prevent hip injury and creates a tight, lean-looking backside. Hence, hamstrings development should be included in your workout routine.
Importance of exercising the Glute muscles
Aside from getting strong and shapely buttocks, glute strength is also important for general fitness. Your glutes are the largest muscle in the body and are essential for various movements associated with the hips and thighs.
Here are other reasons you need to develop and strengthen your glutes:
- It improves your posture
Several people sit for a long time while working, which reduces the glutes muscles’ activity. When these muscles are not functioning effectively, the hip flexors shorten and become tight, increasing hip and knee injuries. It can also cause a change in posture.
Exercising the glute muscles keeps it strong and active and prevents posture deviations by keeping our posture upright and healthy.
- 2. Reduces back, hip, and knee pain
The glutes keep your pelvis stable. A stable pelvis takes the pressure of the knee and ankles. In addition, it keeps your hip safe from injury. If your hips are in good condition, your lower back remains free of pain. Generally, strong glutes lead to a pain-free body.
- Improves Athletic Performance
Developing strong and shapely glutes is key to keeping yourself physically fit. It improves speed, agility, flexibility, and athletic performance. If you love to run, strong glutes help to push you further and reduce the impact of your feet each time they hit the ground.
7 Exercises To Get a Bubble Butt
Now that you have understood the importance of working the butt muscles let’s talk about the exercises.
There are common glute workouts at home that can be done without gym equipment. However, we have added some aerobics to these exercises. Aerobics hasten the development of muscles. They should be incorporated into your current workout routine, but you can do them all together to achieve a better and faster result if you do not have one.
Note, if you are to do them together, perform ten repetitions of each exercise. The moves below involve only the bodyweight except for the band butt blaster. Still, it can be improvised and performed without the resistance band. You’ll also find the best exercises for lower buttocks if what you need is a butt lift.
Here are seven of the best exercises to transform a flat butt into a firm, rounded booty. You can do these glute workouts at home or in the gym.
Squats are the most common butt workout known for their ability to build attractive rears. To perform this exercise, follow these instructions:
- Stand upright with your feet hip-distance apart. Your knees and toes should be facing forward
- Bend your knees and shoot out your butt as though you are about to sit on a chair
- Lower your body till your thighs are parallel to the floor. Ensure that your knees remain behind your toes, and the weight of your body is on your heels
- Remain like that for a second or two
- Rise slowly till you are back to your start position
- Repeat the glute workouts at home several times
Skaters is one of the easy glute workouts at home. It work with every muscle in the body. Also, it develops the thighs and targets the gluteus medius and the hip joints. To do skaters, follow the following instructions.
- Spread your legs till it is slightly wider than shoulder distance. Keep your arms by your sides
- Put your left leg behind as though making a reverse lunge. Keep the right at a 90-degree angle.
- Swing your right arm in front of your bended knee
- Leap to your left leg bringing your left arm in front of you as though skating
- Take one leg behind as though performing a reverse lunge. The front knee will come to a 90-degree angle. Repeat the process.
3. Jump Squats
Jump squats increase explosive power and burn calories at a fast rate. It targets the glutes, hamstring, and thighs as well as the stomach and back muscles. Below is a step-by-step process of doing jump squats.
- Stand upright with your feet hip-distance apart
- Bend your knees to lower yourself into a squat position. As you do this, your spine should remain straight, your chest lifted, and your knees behind your toes. Keep your arms in front of your chest for balance
- Jump straight up and swing your arms over your head. Return to squat and repeat
4. Resistance Band Butt Blaster
This exercise is one of the best glute workouts at home to try. It is a unique way of strengthening your butt muscles without putting weight on your knees. A resistance band is needed for effectiveness. To perform butt blaster, follow these instructions:
- Kneel on the floor, wrap the band under your left foot and place your hands directly under your shoulders. The band’s handles should be held against the floor
- Lift the left foot slightly off the floor and push back to extend your leg against the band
- Slowly bring your left knee back to a bent position. Repeat the process.
5. Glute Bridges
One of the exercises for lower buttocks is the glute bridge. Glute bridges are wonderful workout routines that firm the butt muscles, firms abs, and develop the hamstrings. To perform this exercise, follow these simple steps.
- Lie straight up with your knees bent. Your feet should be flat on the ground
- Lift your hips till your shoulders and knees are in a straight line. Hold this position for a few seconds then lower yourself back to the former position
- Repeat the process for as long as required
6. Plié Squats
Like basic squats, this falls amongst the exercises for side glutes that also work to develop the other glute muscles. To make it more effective, add dumbbells.
Follow these simple steps to perform pile squats.
- Stand tall with feet slightly wider than shoulder distance and toes turned to a 45-degree angle
- Place both hands on your waist and lower your torso while keeping your back straight
- Squeeze your glutes as you rise to a standing position
7. Cross Behind Lunges
- Cross Behind Lunges
This is a variation of the standard lunge. Like the standard lunge, it works on the legs and is one of the best exercises for side glutes. To perform this exercise, follow the instructions below.
- Stand with your feet hip-distance apart
- Bend your knees and cross your left foot behind the right. As you lower yourself, keep your upper body straight and your body weight on the right leg
- Step back and repeat on the other side
Common mistakes made when exercising the butt muscles
Have you been doing butt exercises but seeing no result? If yes, then it could be because of some mistakes you make during your routine. The mistakes might be minor, but they render your efforts useless if they are not corrected. These mistakes include:
- Doing only one workout a week
Consistency plays an essential role in muscle growth. Training your glutes only once a week deprives the muscles of the attention they need. For better results, increase your workouts to three or four times a week. Also, your exercises should vary in reps, sets, and intensity. Set a target for yourself; this way, it is easier to keep track of your progress. When doing exercises for lower buttocks, you could also wear butt lifting shorts to help.
- Moving in one direction
You probably like doing the same exercises repeatedly, but you need to add variations to your routine for glute muscle to develop faster. This would be challenging but produces a great result.
- Rushing reps
Butt exercises are not comfortable but rushing each rep does no good. For effectiveness, each rep should be done slowly. This increases the tension in your glutes which stimulates growth.
- Placing your feet wrongly
When performing certain gluteus maximum exercises, you must keep your feet hip-distance apart. Keeping your feet too close to each other activates the wrong muscle. It can change your body alignment and put pressure on the hamstrings.
- Avoiding glute isolation exercises
Unlike compound exercises, isolation exercises target specific areas of the body. Several people focus on the compound ones because it increases strength. Nonetheless, you should not abandon isolation exercises that focus on a particular muscle.
- Overstretching yourself
While doing butt bridges, you have to lift your hips off the ground. You might think that the higher you take your hips, the better the result. In reality, pushing too far would stress your back muscles which could lead to back pain.
Daily habits that help develop your butt
- Sit less
Sitting for long hours makes your glutes dormant, even with the best exercises for lower buttocks and glutes. To get them working, practice the habit of standing from your seat every thirty minutes. Stand for a while and stretch those muscles. This action may seem so inconsequential, but it does have a great impact on your butt muscles.
- Do not slouch
Whether sitting or standing, do not hunch your shoulders. Ensure to keep your spine straight. Developing this habit not only makes you look confident and smart but gives you a good posture.
- Use the posture
Though you may not know it, climbing staircases is one of the best gluteus maximum exercises. The gluteus Maximus is the primary muscle that helps you when you climb the stairs. This means that every step contributes to building a better and bigger rear.
- Eat more protein
Protein is a body-building food. Hence, it is necessary for muscle growth.
Having a bubble butt is not a far-fetched dream. You can build your glutes to achieve your image of the perfect butt. However, it is no easy feat and requires consistency and persistence. If you do not have a workout routine, create one for yourself and begin the journey to achieving a firm and rounded booty. Try exercises for side glutes if you need bigger hips. Finally, be consistent with gluteus maximum exercises for the best booty shape.